"I believe that the great American hamburger is a thing of beauty, its simple charms noble, pristine. The basic recipe--ground beef, salt, and pepper, formed into a patty, grilled or seared on a griddle, then nestled between two halves of a bun, usually but not necessarily accompanied by lettuce, a tomato slice, and some ketchup--is, to my mind, unimprovable by man or God. A good burger can be made more complicated, even more interesting by the addition of other ingredients--like good cheese or bacon.....relish perhaps, but it will never be made better." - Anthony Bourdain, from the chapter entitled 'Meat', in his book Medium Raw.

March 15, 2013

Ted's Montana Grill (Bozeman, MT)

While in Bozeman, we asked some local friends for a recommendation for dinner and they gave us the names of three restaurants.  Of those three, we settled on Ted's Montana Grill.  You know, because if it's good enough for Ted Turner, it's probably good enough me.  Turns out my friend Ted (we're friends now, because I ate at his restaurant) serves a pretty good burger.

Everything was perfect but we did have one minor allergy-related incident.  They offer many different choices for their hamburger buns so I asked the server which one was egg-free.  She told me to get a certain type of bread, so that's what I ordered.  Someone from the kitchen delivered our food to the table, not our server.  We were hungry so we dove right in to the burgers.  A few minutes later, when the server came back to see if our food was alright, the first words out of her mouth were, "Oh no, that's not the right bun!"  Shear panic sets in on my part.  I'm out of town, I don't know where the hospital is, I worry about what I'm going to do next.  Obviously I stop eating and the server goes to check the ingredients for the bun that I had been served.  She comes back a few moments later with the manager to assure me that the bun I was served was safe and didn't contain any eggs.  Needless to say, my appetite for bread was ruined that evening and I couldn't bring myself to finish the bun regardless of what they said.  Despite a good five minutes of panic, I'd still recommend the place.  And both the manager and the server apologized profusely.  I finished my burger with a knife and fork (sans bun) and it was delicious.  

Enough about me, you're here for burgers, aren't you?  So let's get to the photos.  And this time, you get more than burgers, because I really liked all of the food I had during this meal (well except that pesky bun) so I wanted to share all of my photos with you.

At Ted's you can choose between a beef or a bison patty and as previously mentioned, you have your choice of different types of breads as well.

Blue Creek Burger
The Blue Creek Burger is named after one of Ted's ranches and comes with bleu cheese (go figure, bleu and blue) and bacon.

The Avalon Burger

The Avalon Burger has melted Gruyere cheese, a little bit of bleu cheese, bacon,  caramelized onions, roasted garlic aioli, and baby arugula lettuce.


Baked potato soup for an appetizer.

They brought out this little bowl of house-made pickles when we first sat down.   They were yummy but they definitely had some kick.

Our change was given to us in $2 bills, which I found to be pretty darn fun.  I liked it so much, I had to take a photo of it.  I wonder if they have a stash of $2 bills in the back for everybody's change or if we just lucked out that night.

For more information on my friend Ted's restaurant, visit their website:
http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/menu_burgers.html

No comments:

Post a Comment