"I believe that the great American hamburger is a thing of beauty, its simple charms noble, pristine. The basic recipe--ground beef, salt, and pepper, formed into a patty, grilled or seared on a griddle, then nestled between two halves of a bun, usually but not necessarily accompanied by lettuce, a tomato slice, and some ketchup--is, to my mind, unimprovable by man or God. A good burger can be made more complicated, even more interesting by the addition of other ingredients--like good cheese or bacon.....relish perhaps, but it will never be made better." - Anthony Bourdain, from the chapter entitled 'Meat', in his book Medium Raw.

March 23, 2013

The Kitchen (Oxnard, CA)

When I found myself in Oxnard, California, looking for a place for dinner, I turned to my Food Network app on my iPhone.  This app lets you know which restaurants are near you that have been featured on Food Network.  It's a handy app when I don't know an area or which restaurants might be good.

From my list of choices, I selected The Kitchen, which had been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives with Guy Fieri.  Guy had the lamb burger and gave it rave reviews.

The restaurant is located in the historic district of Oxnard and the area looked like it was fun and trendy.

We had two burgers at The Kitchen and both were delicious!  I didn't eat the bun on my build-your-own-burger because it had an egg wash (stupid food allergies anyway) but my husband kept reaching across the table and breaking off hunks of it to eat like a roll because he said it was very delicious.  He ended up eating the entire thing, bite-by-bite, right in front of my jealous eyes.  Sigh.

My nephew had the classic Kitchen Burger but elected to omit the bleu cheese.  I really thought we had a lot in common until I learned he didn't like bleu cheese on his burgers....that is my absolute favorite cheese for a burger (see exhibits one through one bazillion on this very blog)!  I suppose we'll keep him, despite his questionable distaste for bleu cheese.

The Kitchen Burger (minus the bleu cheese) for $12.95.

The Build-Your-Own Burger with fresh California avocado and bacon for $7.95 (bacon and avocado were an extra $1.95 each).

For more information, visit The Kitchen's website:
http://thekitchenona.com

1 comment:

  1. Who doesn't like bleu cheese on a burger? Crazy. Sounds like a delicious place for a burger.

    ReplyDelete